Welcome to Copperview Elementary’s Virtual Kindergarten Orientation!
It is important we obtain an accurate list of all students qualifying for kindergarten in for the 2022-2023 school year. In accordance with Utah State law, if you have a child that will be five years old on or before September 1, they are eligible for kindergarten. If you have an eligible child, please complete the linked form.
If you know of a neighbor that has a qualifying kindergarten student, please share this information with them.
- Children must be five years of age on or before September 1, 2022.
- The office is required to have the following documents on file prior to student enrollment. Front office staff will be happy to assist in making copies of each document.
- Birth Certificate
- Immunization Record
- Proof of Residency
Kindergarten orientation videos and information can be found on our school website or by visiting this link.
- To order a new copy of a birth certificate, visit the Utah Department of Health website.
- To view a list of required immunizations for 2022-2023 Kindergarten enrollment, visit the Immunize Utah website.
- The Vaccines for Children Program offers vaccines at no cost for eligible children through VFC enrolled healthcare providers. For additional information visit the Vaccines for Children program website.
Let’s Get Ready for Kindergarten Student Pre-k Skills Checklist
The following are helpful skills for students to begin kindergarten but are not required. Each child develops at their own pace.
Self Help Skills
- I can eat independently.
- I can use the restroom independently.
- I can remove outerwear (coats, gloves).
- I can clean up after myself.
- I am curious to try new things.
- I can speak in complete sentences.
- I can listen and responds to stories and books.
- I can express feelings and ideas.
- I can respond when spoken to.
- I can identify 10 or more letters of the alphabet, especially those in own name.
- I use real or made-up letters to “write” stories and ideas.
- My vocabulary includes color words, body parts, & positional words (in/out).
- I can identify signs, symbols, or logos.
- I can listen while others speak.
- I show concern for others.
- I share materials and takes turns.
- I persist in completing tasks.
- I can count to ten.
- I can create groups of up to five objects.
- I can place like items together (red cars and blue cars).
- I can identify names the shapes (circle, triangle, square and rectangle).
- Orientation Slideshow English
- Orientation Slideshow Spanish
- Kindergarten Here We Come! English
- Kindergarten Here We Come! Spanish
- School Calendar
- Copperview PTA
- Family Learning Center
Next Steps: See instructional videos below for more information
1. Submit my purple pre-enrollment form to let Copperview know we have a kindergartner coming.
2. Enroll my student at the school. Submit immunization records and any needed documentation by May 28th.
3. Do online registration for my student in August during the CSD K-12 online registration week. You will access Skyward Family Access and use your login/password.
1. Welcome to Copperview
English and Spanish
2. Helpful Tips for Kindergarten
3. Successful Registration
4. How to Register
5. Kindergarten Academics
6. Teacher's Welcome Message
English and Spanish
7. School Nurse
Meet the Teachers - 2022-23 School Year
This will be my 11th year teaching at Copperview. I have taught Kindergarten for 8 years and First Grade for 2 years. I graduated from BYU in 2006. I taught Pre-K for 2 years in Washington D.C., 2 years in Texas, and 1.5 years in Louisiana. While in Texas, I graduated with my Master’s Degree in Reading. When I moved back to Utah, mid school year, my very first substitute job was at Copperview and I’ve stayed here ever since. While in Canyons District, I’ve gotten my ESL, Math, and Reading Endorsements.
I love the firsts. The first time a student writes their name or reads a word. I love to travel. I have a brother in Portland and a sister in Ft. Worth. I try to make it to them each summer. I collect magnets from everywhere I travel. I like to get one new magnet a year. I also enjoy cross-stitching. I stitch one thing for each of my siblings every Christmas. I’m excited to get to know you and your students and am looking forward to another great year of Kindergarten!
I am Curtis Winkler, Mr. C to the Kids. I am in my sixth year of teaching and my 5th year at Copperview. I came to Copperview because there was a job opening and I stay at copperview because I love the community we have here. Kindergarten is my favorite grade to teach! I love to cook and my favorite food is pizza. I am so excited for the upcoming school year and to meet my new students and families.
Hello Kindergarten students and families. I’m Miss Shelby and I am thrilled to start my teaching career at Copperview Elementary. Last school year, I was a Para-Educator in Kindergarten at Copperview and fell in love with the students and community. I’m excited to be back! I love kindergarten because we make new friends, learn new things, and have lots of fun! We will spend time learning and growing together. Outside of school, I enjoy spending time with my friends, family, and pets. I love all things Disney! I can’t wait to meet you and for school to start!